Wednesday, January 30, 2008

They didn't tell me about this part...

No one told me what it would be like sitting in a meeting whose purpose is to help a child and the parent is seething with anger. Anger at me. Anger at the others in the room. Anger at the process. I understand her anger. In fact, I think I would probably respond the same way. It was just so hard... so so hard.

Given the topic of the meeting we were instructed to focus on the needs and deficiencies of the child, not the things that make him the wonderful little being that he is. That's hard to hear as a parent and that's hard to say as a teacher. I wanted to give the parent a big hug but it seemed inappropriate given the tension in the room.

Next week we get to talk about some of the good stuff. Thank goodness.

No comments: