Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I heart my husband

I have a rambunctious kiddo in my class who, if I had known my husband at age 5, would have been the same kid. I have a special place in my heart for him and of course he's one of my "special" friends. He has a hard time understanding appropriate material/language for a kid his age (and frankly so do his parents) and we're constantly working on appropriate language and behavior for Kindergarten and school in general. So of course I talk about this kid all the time... hardly a day goes by when my husband doesn't here "You'll never guess what my friend did today..."

This morning during snack, my friend needed some one-on-one time with me. He was quiet and grumpy all morning -- I just wanted to give him lots and lots of hugs. While sitting at my table he asked when my husband was coming to visit. I told him we would send a message on my computer and see what he says. I made the message from my friend and typed it verbatim. Here it is along with my husband's responses:

**************

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Are you gonna bring a DVD tomorrow? "How 'bout a movie tomorrow? Tomorrow we can watch a movie with you.

From,
Special Friend
*************

Dear Special Friend,

I would love to watch a movie with you tomorrow, but I have to work so I can buy a DVD. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will come in to surprise you.

From,
Mr. xxxx
*************

Dear Mr. xxxx,

How about Power Rangers or whatever you want? That's okay that you can't come tomorrow.

From,
Special Friend

*************

Special Friend,

I think Power Rangers is too violent for me. Maybe Happy Feet and you and your classmates can dance with the Penguins.

From,
Mr. xxxx

**************

This quick exchange made my Special Friend's day. He was excited and engaged during Writing Workshop -- he got to tell his friends about his "conversation" and then took the lead when we decided to write a letter to my husband formally inviting him into the classroom. I HEART my husband for taking those 60 seconds out of his day to make a little kid happy (and his wife to boot!)

P.S. My special friend's inappropriateness is not what reminds him of my husband at age 5 -- it's his energy, personality, intelligence, and all around adorableness. I thought that needed to be said.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Your posts give me such insight into a primary classroom. As one who has only taught the upper grades for so long now, I'm fascinated by the little kids. You paint such a vivid picture. I greatly enjoy reading it.