Thursday, February 28, 2008

Parenting Tips

For those of you who might not know, I come from a mixed marriage. My husband is a Republican and I am a Democrat. Before taking on teaching I worked on Capitol Hill (as he still does) and our engagement actually made the Hill news... elephant and donkey uniting. Apparently shocking given the political climate. So understanding that, I rarely engage in full-blown political debates unless I am aware of who I am speaking with. Don't get me wrong, I'll discuss and debate with anyone no matter their political persuasion -- but I am highly aware that there are many different and passionate views out there and I like to know the temperature of the water before I dive in. I guess I am saying this because I am about to post something wonderful from someone very political. If you want to get political, fine by me, but if not, just read it as a teacher would. It almost made me cry.

WSJ
February 28, 2008, 6:17 pm
Obama Offers Some Parenting Tips
Nick Timiraos reports
on the presidential race from Beaumont, Texas.


Barack Obama took a chance to offer some parenting advice during a forum on the economy Thursday, bringing a crowded auditorium of 1,700 to its feet.

His lecture came in a response to how he would improve education. After discussing the need to overhaul the No Child Left Behind Act, he asked the audience for permission to speak frankly.

“It doesn’t matter how much money we put in if parents don’t parent,” he said. “When that child comes home you’ve got the TV set on. You don’t check the homework… So turn off the TV set, put the video game away, buy a little desk or put that kid at the kitchen table.”

The Illinois senator also urged parents to teach healthy lifestyles. “Make them go to bed at a reasonable time, keep them off the streets, give them some breakfast, come on,” he said. “Can I get an amen here?”

He also admonished parents to take responsibility for their children when they make mistakes at school. “Since I’m on a roll here,” he said, “if your child misbehaves in school, don’t cuss out the teacher. You know I’m right about that.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.......another mixed marriage at school. How you girls keep a sane mind, I have not a clue. Must be hard core LOVE!!!!!!!! Jan the Art Teacher

splatypus said...

I can only speak for myself, but muy husband and I generally agree on the ends, just disagree on the means. It makes for lively discussion and I love to have someone that will challenge my beliefs so that they simply become stronger.