Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Yikes

I left school at 4:30 p.m. this afternoon feeling quite proud of myself for deciding that some quiet couch time was more important at that moment than next week's lesson plans. In hindsight, I should have checked the traffic. My normal route puts me on the beltway for one exit. One. Tiny. Exit. It took me 55 minutes to get to my tiny exit only to discover the ramp to the highway I needed was closed. Just as I was about to lose my mind I looked up at one of the many fly-over bridges above the highway. The one I was looking at was closed and had many trapped vehicles on it. Two of the trapped vehicles were school busses - school busses loaded with children.

Can you imagine? I tried to think what I would do. Sing myself hoarse? Initiate a rocks, paper, scissors tournament? Cry myself to sleep in the corner?

Reports are still being given that fly-overs and bridges are closed. I hope this one was de-iced and those busses got on their way.

1 comment:

organized chaos said...

i'm telling you, being a bus driver would be my own personal hell.

since i vote a million miles in the south it took me 3 hours to get home from my polling place!! 3 hours!! at least I had my radio and not crazy kiddos to keep me company. thanks for putting that into perspective!