Monday, March 3, 2008

Duh.

We had a presentation from our special education team today at our staff meeting. The topic was about kids who have auditory processing problems and special needs kids in general. The presenters were giving us classroom ideas on how to help these kids and why they don't learn in traditional "school marm" classrooms. One presenter bravely admitted that she has auditory processing problems and how that caused her difficulties in elementary school.

The entire time they were presenting I was on my laptop deleting emails, organizing files and generally just neatening my laptop. About 3/4 of the way through the presentation I thought to myself that I should close my laptop and focus on the presenters, but in reality I was focused on them and paying attention (I had this discussion with myself). I'm one of those people that needs to be active to sit still (if that makes sense). If my husband puts in a movie I need a project to work on as well. If I am engaged in a conversation, my hands are usually doing something whether it's twisting my ring or holding a wine glass, or I am actually up and moving. I have great conversations while I am cooking. It's like my body needs activity so my mind can focus. It's not necessarily short attention span it's just an agreement between my mind and body. Idle body = idle mind. Active body = active mind.

I am rambling on about this because I have kids in my room with the same issue and today's presentation made me realize that some of my kiddos ARE JUST LIKE ME. Dur. Now I get it. Now I get THEM.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm exactly the same way! I'm always afraid people will be offended when I can't just sit still and talk to them, but I'm actually paying more attention if I'm doing other things. If I'm sitting still my brain wanders off.

splatypus said...

Exactly!