Monday, April 28, 2008

Kindergarten Orientation

Today was my very first Kindergarten Orientation. What a trip! We had a record turn out and all three available classrooms were stuffed to the gills with parents of all backgrounds. I had two observations:

1. I found myself differentiating my presentation for the parents about differentiating. There were some parents who were unsure that we would meet the needs of their very bright little ones -- to those we assured them that we teach to the level of each child. We used terms like, "one-to-one match," "literacy skills," and "further develop each child's ability." We want them to know that we know what we're doing. Then I had to speak to the parents who don't speak English, and who are nervous that their child doesn't either. "We full expect some children to enter Kindergarten without knowledge of the English alphabet, you know, their ABCs." Everything was said, hopefully, with a relaxed and assuring smile. "Bring us your little ones my friends and let us do our magic." Oy. Just like I am reaching all the kiddos in my room, I hope we reached all those parents.

2. A few of us witnessed parents griping at each other in the registration line. "Hey! You can't cut the line!" The apples do not fall far from the trees.

I can't wait to see who ends up in my room in July!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

It was my first kindergarten orientation too and it was fascinating. I couldn't help but look at it as a parent and a teacher. I thought you all were fantastic. It's amazing how overwhelming it is to think about sending your child to kindergarten (even if you've worked outside the home all her life).