Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Men

My kiddos were working in pairs today on a puzzle about farm products. For example, one picture would be of milk and they needed to match it to the picture of the cow. Everything was running smoothly when I overheard that whiney, "no, it's MMIIIINNNNEEEE!" screech from across the room. My skin crawled, my eyes blazed, and I looked over to see two boys, each with their finger on the cow puzzle piece. I walked over and immediately (preemptively) put up my hand (that's the stop-talking-I-don't-want-to-hear-it sign). I told these boys that they seem to have a problem and I was not going to solve it for them, but I was going to stand at their table and wait for them to solve it.

For seven minutes (yes, SEVEN), both boys sat at the table with their finger on the piece, tugging it back and forth. Seven minutes for a kindergarten boy is like a full day for an adult. I couldn't believe it. What stubbornness! After about 5 minutes I had to hide my "men are so ridiculous" smile.

Finally, one boy lifted up his hand and allowed the other boy to put the piece together. I showered the hand-lifter with lots of praise about being a good friend and making a great choice. My praise didn't seem to do much good because he didn't seem happy with his decision at all. He was quite grumpy, but at least his hand was free to do other things.

Men. Jeez.

3 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

I'm impressed by the amount of patience you afforded them. Wow. I don't know that I could have held out for that long.

Wendy said...

Now I know where the men come from who will have a ten-minute standoff over a parking space.

splatypus said...

To Snippety: It wasn't patience. It was all curiosity.

To Wendy: These men start young and I promise you I am doing my best to break them. The hand-lifter has a shot. The other one, I'm not so sure.