Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Reflection on Intersession

We have completed our 7th day of Intersession and have 3 more to go. For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, Intersession is one of 3 mid-year blocks of time when it is optional for students to attend school and optional for teachers to teach. Most kids attend and many teachers teach. Kids get all mixed up and go to morning and afternoon classes taught by teachers. Topics vary and are always fun and a nice break from the regular curriculum. We continue to focus on grade appropriate skills but it's done in a way that's like camp. It rocks.

For the official description, go here.

This is my 4th Intersession and I'm still going strong. I did however, discover something today that I dislike about Intersession. It's very hard to gauge the ability of your 40 kiddos (20 in the morning, 20 in the afternoon). This wasn't a problem during the 1st and 2nd Intersessions because you are still in the early learning stages (especially in Kindergarten). By the 3rd Intersession though you expect your kids to be at a certain level.

I'm not describing the normal wide range of abilities that all teachers expect and differentiate for... these kids you spend all day with and have a natural rhythm of working with all the levels. My problem was with the wide range and not knowing exactly where the kids were, what kind of assistance they needed, and what kind of support they expected. These aren't my kids and today was hard.

Admittedly, the activity could have been done in my own room with my own kids but it could have been a reach with a classroom of unknowns. Lesson learned.

I still heart Intersession. Always will.

No comments: