Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Worst idea ever...

... so my kids have been having, shall we say, whole group behavior problems. Some have blamed it on the weather, some have said it's because we're nearing the end of the school year, but whatever it is, it's really annoying. So I borrowed a great idea from another Kindergarten teacher and made a flower and lady bug. For each good thing the class does the lady bug goes up the flower (cleaned up quietly, said the Pledge nicely, etc). When the ladybug gets to the top of the flower the kids get to choose from the list of "goodies" written on the flower petals. Here's what I wrote on each petal:

Race to the fence (sometimes they just want to run)
Extra Choice Time
Extra Recess

I was struggling to come up with two more, so I wrote:

Lunch with me
Song and Dance (no one will ever pick this but I ran out of ideas)

WELL, the ladybug made it to the top and they picked lunch with me. Newman. I was banking on recess.

Ew, ew, ew.

If you have ever eaten with 21 5 and 6 year olds you know why I said, "ew." My co-teacher who takes a small group to lunch everyday knows exactly what I am talking about. Food flies out of mouths, lunch is on the face more than in the mouth, and kids mix up the NASTIEST combinations of food. Today a kiddo was dipping their carrots into ketchup.

We all ate out lunches and they thought it was incredibly neat (like they've never seen me eat before?!). I sent them on their way outside for recess.

Then I bagged the trash, scrubbed the classroom and opened the windows to get rid of this smelly experience. Let's hope that next time they choose something else. A new flower will be made for next year.

No comments: