Monday, July 28, 2008

Day One is Complete

The first day of school is now over... Mondays are short days in our county and it's the perfect way to start the year. Here is what I had planned for today:
  1. Walk each student through how to unpack their backpack, where it goes, etc.
  2. Assign letters on our giant ABC carpet
  3. Read the Pledge of Allegiance big book
  4. Read our morning message
  5. Look at the calendar and discuss what day it is and the weather
  6. Read our schedule
  7. Sing the Hallway Song
  8. Go to P.E.
  9. Bathroom break
  10. Eat snack
  11. Read a story
  12. Add our names to our name chart
  13. Talk about our behavior chart
  14. Bathroom break
  15. Go to lunch
  16. Go to recess

We got through #1, #8, #9, #10, #12, #13, #14, #15 and #16. Not too bad!! Actually, now that I tally it up, it's pretty darn good. Granted, I only had 14 kiddos today so the day seemed a bit like a practice run... no way will that number stay where it is... but it was a nice way to ease into it.

Extra bonus: no tears, no bathroom accidents, and no lost children. Rock on.

2 comments:

kiri8 said...

Congratulations! Looks like you did a lot. I think my first day plans will be less ambitious. My preschoolers can only handle so much.

How do you feel about the first day of school? I always hate it, for some reason. I lose my voice from so much talking and I just feel like a big awkward dork who forgot how to teach.

splatypus said...

I felt that way last year... this year I am over-organized so it's better. I just have to make sure I don't get upset when we don't get to everything on the list!