Friday, October 17, 2008

All it takes is a little reminder...

Admittedly I have been really enjoying my two week break. I've gotten so much personal, non-teacher stuff done that I've been having a hard time getting psyched to go back. There's no way I can be this productive if I have to WORK. Eeesh.


However, today, my last day of break, I hauled my kids interactive writing project to Staples to see about getting it made into a fancy book (as I had promised them). Now mind you, I did the same thing last week at Kinkos and left after I was told that it would cost me almost $60 to do. I love my kids but I don't love them that much. So I decided to head to Staples to see what I could buy to do it myself when I ran into my new bff Paula from the Staples Copy Center. Paula helped me put the first page onto poster board and then laminated each page in super-thick-teachers-will-love-it laminate and them bound the whole thing together.

(Could I have done this at my own school? Well yes, if our laminator actually worked. I'm tired of laminating things twice or three times with an end result that makes this OCD gal really flippin' cranky. Seriously, I spend hours of my life laminating and it just peels off the next day.)

AT ANY RATE, let's get back to the good news. The good news is that Paula did this whole project for me for $22!!! She rocks. I told her about Kinkos and she just rolled her eyes (I wonder if there is copy-center competition...)

So here is my kids' masterpiece. This is my first try with making a movie with my camera and posting it onto my blog. Bear with me. It took us about 5 days of Interactive Writing lessons to create and now that it's a shiny book we will use it for Shared Reading when we get back to school on Monday. Our AP and reading teacher are also going to come in so the kids can read it to them. Then after reading our book everyday this week for Shared Reading it will go in the Big Books We Know center for the kids to read by themselves in Reading Workshop. I love it when things come together!

Yay, I am excited to go back!



5 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

That is so sweet. Your babies are going to be so excited to see that.

I am most envious, however, at the fact that you have filmed and embedded a video on your blog. I want to do that but am having a major block on the whole thing.

splatypus said...

Snippety - it was surprisingly easy. My digital camera has a movie function and when you download the pictures from the camera to the laptop it is in .avi format. Blogger accepts .avi so I didn't have to do anything special. Honestly, I did the movie because I wasn't able to figure out how to post all 8 pictures of the book in the order that I wanted and within the post where I wanted them. That's my major block!

ChiTown Girl said...

So sweet! My babies love to make books, too (naturally!), so I may just share this with them on Monday. I seem to have pretty good luck with my local Kinkos. (Sorry your place doesn't sound so hot) I usually get my books bound with the comb binding, which makes turning the pages much easier.

Anonymous said...

Excellent video! I just wonder if you can elaborate on your "Big Books We Know" center? I have never thought to do this. How many kids can go to it and what do they do there? Do you have a bag with sentences where they have to match and read it? If you could explain that would be sweet! Thanks!

splatypus said...

Anonymous - The Big Books We Know center is a big bin full of our shared reading material. I have the kids as a whole class read the same book together for one week at the beginning of Reading Workshop. Then at the end of the week it goes in the bin. The kids know the story and therefore they reread it over and over. As the weeks go on, they start picking out high frequency words they see. The kids are 4 to a group. Hope this helps!