Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Dark Side of Intersession

I know that I extol the virtues of Intersession every chance I get... until now. As you know, I did not teach this past Intersession (my first time not teaching it since I entered this field in January of 2007). Each time until now I've looked forward to getting my own kids back and to get back into our routine.

Well. This time I did get my kids back, but after two weeks of relaxation bliss. My kids who had different (or non-existent) rules and routines for two weeks.

Holy comoly. Who are these children and what have you done with mine?!

I've literally been pulling my hair out this week whipping them back into shape. It's been like boot camp for Kindergarten (sounds fun huh?) Here is a sampling of the dialogue you might have heard in my room this week:
  • "Please sit down. Please sit down. Please... sit.... down... HEY! YOU! SIT DOWN!"
  • "Shhhhhhhh."
  • "Friends... (deep breath)... it's so very important for you to look at me when I am talking. Please do not make funny faces at your friend while we are learning...(deep breath)."
  • "Please take that out of your mouth."
  • "Shhhhhhhh."
  • "Seriously, don't put it on your mouth."
  • "Are you a doggie that needs a chew toy?" (I know, this was mean).
  • "Excuse me? Did you really just do that?!"
  • "SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
  • "This is your last chance. If you behave the same way, you lose recess. The WHOLE recess."

Gah, I've been Viola Swamp. TGIalmostF.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Aw, honey, that sounds like my class every single freakin' day!! :( And, just for the record, the doggie comment was funny. At least to me, the teacher who asks her kids if they can't stay sitting because they're wearing a dirty diaper. Now THAT'S mean!

Snippety Gibbet said...

Amen. I channeled Viola Swamp this week too. Today, Thursday, the kids are finally seeming to remember how to behave in my classroom again.

I love the intersession opportunity for these kids, but it takes them days to straighten up afterwards.

teach5 said...

Seriously, THAT is my class, we are ending week 6 of school and they aren't much better than the end of the first week. One of mine got suspended today, for crawling around on the floor, hiding under her table and bothering the other students at the table while under there, not staying in timeout, digging in the trash up to her armpit (the same can that had puke in it yesterday) and talking to herself (loudly while wildly waving her arms around)while not staying in timeout. She's been to the principal twice previous, once with her mother. I'd have more sympathy, if there weren't 30 of the little numchuks in the class...