Friday, October 3, 2008

OCD strikes again...

... or maybe it's how I was raised. Blame my mom :)

I try my very best to always keep in mind that most of my kiddos come from backgrounds that are literally foreign to me. Their families don't run on the same values and principles that I was raised with, along with my homogeneous upstate New York community. For example, my father taught me that 10 minutes early is on time. My mother taught me that you write a thank you note, for everything. These are just a sampling.

So it gets my undies in a bunch when I work really hard to communicate with families in their home language about parent conferences, and extend myself and my time to be as accommodating as possible, and I'm still blown off. One appointment after another... at least the translator that I arranged brought reading material. He knows.

Yes yes, I know I need to let it go. I know that. But this is my therapy and I need to vent.

P.S. My conference with Poor Spacey and The Pooper's parent went very well. Not only was I able to serve up a positive burger, it had a few tasty sides as well!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I have to say that after reading "The Pooper" the idea of a burger is really unfortunate, no matter how metaphorical.

MemoryMaker said...

My conferences are next week. I guess I better start working on my burgers....

teach5 said...

I agree with Jenny, "Poor Spacey and The Pooper's parent went very well. Not only was I able to serve up a positive burger, it had a few tasty sides as well!" just is NOT an appetizing visual.