Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Switching Gears...

Before I can enjoy two weeks off (hip hip hooray!), I have to spend two full days meeting with the parents of my lovies.

I have mixed feelings about parent-conferences. On one hand, I fully support consistent and open communication about a child's progress, or lack thereof, with parents.

On the other hand, I am dreading a few meetings where I am struggling to come up with "the positive burger." have you heard of this? Think of a hamburger... the bottom bun is a positive about the kiddo, the burger is the negative, and it's topped off with a positive bun. That way the parent doesn't feel attacked and the teacher avoids focusing solely on the negative. The problem is, I have a couple of kiddos who are lacking a bun. I can feign a bottom bun, but a top one as well?! It's going to be tough. (And yes, for you curious Georges... Poor Spacey and the Pooper are on the list.)

While you might be thinking, "Geez, what a battle ax," you should know that I smiled and positived my way through conferences last year and I ended up with parents who really didn't understand their kiddos problems. I want to avoid this.

Tomorrow's goal - find the balance!

2 comments:

MemoryMaker said...

What about something like:

I really like the way you dress your child, where do you shop?

Or

I wish I had the talent spacey does to just tune out the rest of the world - she is SO good at it!

Or

I love the way you child challenges me to become a better teacher every day. There is always something new in that little sweeties day to make me stop and be thankful my day isnt dull and boring.

ok, maybe not.

teach5 said...

No bun, sounds like the Atkin's diet.....