Monday, October 20, 2008

Why didn't I knock on wood?

Seriously... after that last oh-I-love-doing-what-I-do post, unlucky teacher karma was bound to bite me in my butt. Here's today's scene:

8:50 a.m., right in the middle of morning meeting. Our registrar is lurking outside the door. She asks to speak to me. I know something is up because she doesn't usually need to speak to me in the middle of teaching. Well she has a kiddo in her office who is starting today. Ok, sure, of course, bring him down. What else could I say? "Um, no sorry, I am full."

8:55 a.m. said kiddo shows up with mom and mom's friend. Kiddo is crying hysterically and refuses to let me lead him into the room. I begin lots of soothing and back rubbing and assurances that I am not a monster and he will surely have a good time.

(Meanwhile, the special ed. teacher has taken over the calendar portion of morning meeting - thank you thank you thank you).

8:57 a.m. I finally drag, yes drag, this poor kiddo into the room and shut the door. He continues crying hysterically and lunging for the door.

8:57 a.m. Another child pukes on the floor.

Awesome.

8:58 a.m. My wonderful assistant is attending to the puking child, I am continuing to soothe the crying child and the special ed. teacher is wrapping up morning meeting and getting my kids ready to go to P.E.

What in tarnation* would I have done with all that help?! (*I am channeling my father with that term... I don't really know what it means but I heard it a lot as a child. I think he used it in replace of hell, but you never know with him.)

Have no fear, the puker went home and the crying child stopped just in time for me to realize he doesn't have a word on English under his belt. Only Urdu, and I am fresh out of English to Urdu dictionaries. At least he's smiling!

3 comments:

teach5 said...

I have one of those. The puker. But she's not sick, she cries herself sick first thing in the morning, then is usually OK for the rest of the day. She's puked in my room at least 4 or 5 times in the last 7 days, usually on the carpet. Naturally. They are seriously going to have to shampoo the whole floor REAL soon.

Snippety Gibbet said...

Bless your heart. My day didn't compare in the least, and now I am thankful for the day that I did have.

Your I.A. ROCKS, by the way. I have never met a more patient person in my life. I totally feel incompetent next to her in that regard.

MemoryMaker said...

Would this be a good time to say, I am off for the next three days for training? :)