Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Day Kinder-Style

Since the kids don't have school tomorrow, at calendar time we discussed Election Day and what that means. Here is how it went:

Me: "Does anyone know what Election Day is?"

Silence.

Me: "Does anyone know what it means to vote?"

Kid: "My mom is voting for Bark Obama." (Yes, she said "bark.")

Me: "Oh! Okay, so your mom is going to choose Barack Obama to be the next president. Does anyone know who else wants the job?"

Silence.

Me: "Barack Obama and a man named John McCain both want to be president. So tomorrow your moms and dads will go and choose who they want!"

Kid: "My mom is voting for Obama."

Kid: "My mom is voting for Obama."

Kid: "My mom is voting for Obama."

(And then we had what I call a "kindergarten bandwagon moment" where hands went up simply to be part of the crowd).

Kid: "My mom isn't voting."

Me: "Oh, okay." (I chose to skip the lesson on who gets to vote and why simply because we have many parents who are not citizens and it would get very confusing. I left it as grown-ups vote, kids do not).

Kid: "My mom is voting for John McCain."

Silence. No bandwagon there.

Me: "Does anyone know who the president is now?"

Kid: "John McCain."

Me: "Well, he wants to be president. Who lives in the White House and is our president right now?"

Kid: "George Bush."

Me: "YES!" (I bet my 5 year olds are smarter than your average citizen!!)

1 comment:

kdixie said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I too am a kindergarten teacher. This is my 12th year. I really enjoyed your candid posts and look forward to checking your blog in the future!