Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Self-Reliance

This post has little to do with my Kindergarten classroom other than that I was leaving it today when the following saga ensued...

I walked out of our building with a colleague and just as we stepped into the parking lot I heard a mournful yowl. Upon further investigation, it became clear that the sorrowful yowl was coming from the storm drain located exactly where the kiddos get picked up after school. There was a cat trapped down in the sewer. Or is it a storm drain? I'm really not sure where that big hole leads to except that I am constantly nagging my children to stay away from it or "you'll fall in the drain!"

Now, I am not a cat person, but if you have any bit of a heart, you really couldn't ignore this sad plea of, "heeelllooo!! I can hear you! Can you hear me? I'm sstttuuucccckkk and I'm sssaaaaadddd."

My colleague and I looked at each other and I think we thought the same thing, which was - really, if I left 5 minutes earlier would I be dealing with this right now? But both of us didn't make any attempt to leave. She got down on her belly on the cold pavement and when she couldn't see anything, she lifted the manhole cover! It seemed the cat was down very deep. What to do? What to do? All of a sudden she whipped out her blackberry and preceded to look for a cat rescue organization (who says teachers don't need a blackberry?!) While she took control I spoke to the cat reassuring him/her that it would be fine and not to go deeper.

Shut up all of you. I was helpful.

Then POP! This ENORMOUS orange tabby cat pulled itself out of the drain and began looking at us and yowling as if to say, "okay, I am out. Got any food?"

I immediately felt good about my passion about teaching my children self-reliance. Man or beast, it works every time.

5 comments:

MemoryMaker said...

Did you take it home?

debrennersmith said...

Do you make this stuff up... not really, but really! I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face!

splatypus said...

Alas, I do not make this up. It's my life!

splatypus said...

And no, I did not take it home. Mr. Splatypus would have been very upset with me!

Preschool Playbook said...

This is good! Your writing is excellent. I can picture everything as you write it. I hope the smile fades before bed. Thanks. And thanks for taking the time for the cat.