Friday, December 5, 2008

Something stuck!

Today we did our lesson on the president, the flag and the Pledge of Allegiance. It's very exciting. I show them a picture of the current president and we identify who he is. Then we talk about the new president and who that will be. Then we talk about the flag. Why are there stars? Yadda yadda. It's fun but not incredibly thrilling. We also attempt to decode the Pledge of Allegiance which is a struggle for 5 year olds, but funny nonetheless. Especially since we say it every day and they are fairly clueless about what it means.

After the lesson my kiddos made their own U.S. Flags using paint and paper -- they were awesome.

At Choice Time today, one kid chose to color for her activity and got to work with paper and markers. After a few minutes she came to me and asked for tape. I gave her few pieces and she went on her way. When she asked for more, I asked her what she was making.

"A Pledge of Allegiance Hat."

Oh. Hmmmm... wasn't aware such a hat existed or was needed. I smiled and told her I thought that sounded really cool and sent her back to keep working.

Her final product was a paper ring with kids drawn all over it saying the Pledge. She made it for a classmate who wore it proudly. The lesson stuck! Rock on!

3 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

Neato!!! I'd love to see such a thing.

Kassia said...

Wow! Very cool. She took what she learned and made it into her own amazing idea.

ChiTown Girl said...

And THAT'S why I can't quit my job!!! Moments like that make it all worth it, don't they?