Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fleur de Jelly Belly

Today we began discussing spring and seeds. I chumped out a bit and showed the kiddos a 20 minute movie about growing a flower. Yes, it was a cartoon. Yes, the bright colors and fun music got them to pay attention, but yes, it was a PBS production so I don't feel all that bad.

After the movie we discussed the steps we need to follow to grow a flower. This turned into a great interactive writing lesson and they came up with 7 steps to grow a flower. My favorite? Step #6 -- Wait!

I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about our lesson until one of the kids asked if jelly beans were seeds and before I could answer, a classmate told him that yes, they were and there were jelly bean trees. Instead of recapping the lesson with the kids, I spent 5 minutes explaining where and how jelly beans were made.

Thanks Easter Bunny.

No comments: