Monday, May 18, 2009

The ants go marching one by one...

So tomorrow is our field trip to a local park to learn all about ants. My kids are REVVED up and ready to go. To prepare we have learned a fun song about the parts of the ant:

(to the tune of Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes)
Head, thorax, abdomen
And 6 legs!
Head, thorax, abdomen
And 6 legs!
And antennae that we call feelers,
Head, thorax, abdomen
And 6 legs!

Now you try it!!!!! Come on, do it.

Picture the kids wiggling their arms when they sing "and 6 legs!" It's quite cute.

After we learned about the parts of an ant, we anxiously awaited the arrival of our ants in the mail to put into our ant farm. They arrived on Thursday... dead. Ugh. REALLY? My kids were bummed out. One kiddo asked, "can we catch a bunch of ants on the field trip and bring them back to our ant farm?"

Awwww... no sorry sweetie.

Can you picture that? I bunch of 6 year olds stuffing ants in their pockets to bring back to school? My kids would try it if I let them and I get tense just thinking about the wicked case of ants-in-the-pants we would have!

So no real ants for us to observe in the room, but we're still excited for tomorrow. Onward!

2 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Why don't you bring some sort of container with you to gather some ants for the farm. Just a thought...

We have an insect song that we sing, as well, although I wasn't creative enough to think of it myself. I have an awesome book of songs that I use all year long. If you're interested, I can give you the name of it (I'm not in my room right now.) Anyway, the song is sung to the tune of "Camptown Races."

An insect has three body parts,
Count 'em, three parts,
An insect has three body parts,
All the live-long day!

It has to have a head,
And a thorax, too.
Last it has an abdomen,
Three body parts, it's true!

My kids LOVE this song every year.

Have fun on your trip :)

splatypus said...

Oooh I like it!