Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Teacher Fatigue

I come to school a full hour before the kids arrive, but between walking down the hall to the room, back to the teacher's lounge to stash my lunch, waiting for my Outlook to retrieve the information, heading back out to pump (yep, we're still doing that and it's still a hassle), I only have about 30 minutes of prep time.

I used it today to decidedly not prep. I spent my precious 30 minutes of morning time reading my favorite blogs that I have neglected over the past few months. Turns out my favorite bloggers are feeling just like me. Tired, burned out, and stretched in all directions, and I am hearing the same thoughts from colleagues in the building. "Are we done yet?" "Oh, I'm already taking things off my wall." "I am so done with this group." There's not a lot of excitement or energy.

I don't think it's the kids necessarily... I think we're just, as a group, exhausted. Some of us have different factors that exacerbate the tiredness (insomnia, new baby, baby on the way, stress) but on a whole it seems like the general teaching population needs a long nap.

We have 26 school days left before summer break. And yes, I am counting.

2 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

We have 20 days after today, and I've been counting since September!!! I know, that's terrible, isn't it? And this year, I actually really, really love my class. ALL of them, which is sooo unusual. There's usually one or two (or five!) that make me want to throttle them on a daily basis, but this year, not so much.

I think this old body just can't handle the stress of 3 jobs and mothering a teenager (single-handedly!) anymore. June 12 can NOT come soon enough!!!!

Snippety Gibbet said...

26 days???????? Awesome! I'm still in the mode of counting by weeks. I know there are 5 weeks left. 26 days sounds so much more exciting!!!!!!