Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back to School Night

Sigh... (this is a happy sigh!)... 17 out of my 18 families came to Back to School Night. 17 moms and dads listened politely as I rambled on and on, they asked really good questions and they even were kind enough to laugh at my lame jokes. They all signed up for a fall parent-teacher conference and each one of them shook my hand and said, "thank you" when they left.

It's the little things...

I think this year will be great, regardless of my grumbling this past week. Frankly, I think most of that grumbling has been misdirected. Don't get me wrong, sitting in pee deserves grumbling and reading depressing articles about beat-down teachers does too, but somewhere between the Starbucks and school this morning I reminded myself that I am pretty lucky to work where I work and my kids -- even though I don't really know them yet -- are pretty great.

For those working moms out there, I think my funk is more about making it work at home and school, something I have blogged about before, rather than beginning year blues.

Onward. It's Thursday. It's an Art Day. Rock on.

1 comment:

kiri8 said...

I have the same hopes about my families and kids this year -- they all showed up for the spring roundup, and the kids were great.

Here's to a terrific year for you and for me, with a good dose of work/family life balance thrown in!