Friday, September 25, 2009

Pajama Day and the Classics

Today is Pajama Day... a day when the kids are allowed to wear their jammies to school to show how much school spirit they have. I love it. I don't wear my jammies, I wear sweats. "Nice" sweats, but they are still clearly sweats. Sigh, I love it. It's raining, I have a hot Starbucks drink, and I'm in my sweats. TGIF right?

As I was leaving Starbucks this morning I thought, "wow, this would be a PERFECT day for a movie." Then the teacher responded, "your job is not to show movies." Then I responded, "Yea, I know. Not today. But my kids don't understand what classic movies are. I need to fix that." (Seriously, this is how my brain works). See, here's the thing. I have a classroom full of amazing little ones who haven't ever seen Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin, or an episode of the Muppets, or even know what Bedknobs and Broomsticks is. They're a new generation, but they are also a generation of kids whose parents didn't watch these either. I see this as a travesty. Really I do. I'm not kidding around. Sure, it's fine to love Cars, or A Bug's Life, or Hannah Montana -- in my day I loved the Smurfs, the Snorks, She-Ra and He-Man -- but you have to familiar with the CLASSICS. It's as American as apple pie. Is this the most effective way to teach patriotism? Of course not. But Pajama Day isn't the best way to teach school spirit but we do it because it's FUN.

So... help me. Here is my list of movies that my kids will see at some point this year. Please let me know what I should add. Come on, get nostalgic!
  1. Any Charlie Brown movie, but definitely The Great Pumpkin.
  2. The Muppet Show, definitely an episode showcasing Animal, Fozzie, and the Swedish Chef.
  3. The Wizard of Oz
  4. Frosty the Snowman (do they talk a lot about Christmas in this? I don't remember).
  5. Mary Poppins
  6. Bedknobs and Broomsticks

7 comments:

The Science Goddess said...

Why not some of the older Warner Bros cartoons---the original Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote, etc?

(Besides---they're short...you could show a lot without too much "teacher guilt.") :)

blossomteacher said...

I totally heart you...I feel the same way! I have tapes of Fraggle Rock & the Jetsons, and I got them cheap on e-bay...we use these for inside recess! I'm looking for some Smurfs videos, and the Flinstones. Also...most of them have never seen the older Disney movies...Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, etc. Princess movies...that they all know...blech. We always watch "Follow that Bird" after Field Day...they love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Johnny Appleseed! I love the Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Disney cartoon), but I'm not sure if it would be too scary. I haven't shown it in my class....yet. :)
Fun and Fancy Free (Disney)
Fraggle Rock!

I agree with the first post. Bugs Bunny is the best!

Anonymous said...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Maybe too scary for K (I always thought the bad guy was really freaky), but a great movie!

Anonymous said...

The Little Rascals.

Snippety Gibbet said...

Psssst.......don't tell anyone, but because our art times are so oddly timed this year, if we have leftover minutes at the end of class we watch Sesame Street clips on YouTube. I find all the ones that relate to art or have a connection to the lesson of the day. The kids are absolutely mesmerized.

*Nikki* said...

Willy Wonka!!!