Monday, September 21, 2009

Professional Development or Remedial Math Methods?

I have been trying to process the professional development workshop I attended this afternoon because I left so disgusted and annoyed. I tend to flip out at somewhat minute details so I have been chewing on this for the last few hours to try to decide what exactly bugged me, and asking myself if it's worthy of my bad attitude. By the way, my fabo colleague attended the same workshop and left with a similar attitude, so already I am feeling justified. At any rate, here are some thoughts...
  1. I love professional development, not remediation classes. This felt like the class for those of us that failed the test and need more practice...
  2. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask me what I know before assuming I don't know it and then presenting it as new information. In the education world, we call this "checking for prior knowledge" so as not to waste our students' time and to avoid boring them to tears. (This is in bold because it's really my biggest beef.)
  3. I love teaching kindergarten. I love 5 and 6 year olds. I love learning techniques to grab their attention and add creativity to my classroom. DO NOT USE THEM ON ME AND A BUNCH OF ADULTS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It's flipping insulting. Why don't you say, "here is a technique you might want to try in your classroom" and then present it to me as an adult.
  4. Check the tone and cadence of your voice. We are all teachers and we know what a "teacher voice" is. Don't use it on us. We can turn it on and off to accommodate the situation (i.e. we don't use it when gently reminding our husbands where the towels are kept), so can you.
I suppose I could go on but it's not really healthy and I have made the most important points. This is the second of seven workshops in the series... I am hoping they improve or I might toss myself off my roof.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Ugh! There NOTHING I hate more than having to sit through worthless PD!! THIS is why I don't feel guilty when I ditch them! ;-)

*Nikki* said...

oh i know exactly what you mean and I completely feel the same way when i go to classes!! i love the "teacher voice" one!!

Sarah said...

Oh I hate that!!! Give me something useful!!