Friday, October 30, 2009

"Do it for the children!"

This is one of those, "What We Will Do For Our Kids" stories.

Yesterday I was at the store stocking up on veggies for my kiddo. He is dangerously low on food and I can't give him what my husband I eat on the weekends and still feel like a good mother. (Last night we had pho, tonight is Five Guys, and tomorrow night... who knows, but it's Halloween so it's surely not going to be a healthy trio of chicken, veggies and rice!)

At any rate, here I was at the store and I realized that I needed a pumpkin for today's lesson on the parts of a pumpkin. Shockingly, two days before Halloween, the pickings were slim. Really slim. I took the best looking pumpkin from the sad group of 4 and put it in my cart. As I am wandering around the store wondering what else I need, I kept looking at this sad pumpkin in my cart. It wasn't big enough, and it seemed to light for its size meaning that the insides just might be dried out. I knew this just wouldn't do. The BEST part about carving a pumpkin with 20 5 year olds (many of who haven't ever done this) is to have lots of pumpkin guts for them to touch and scream "eeeewwww!"

I checked in with Customer Service. No dice. Ugh, I was kicking myself for thinking I could wait until now to get a pumpkin. I considered sacrificing the beautiful, huge an PERFECT pumpkin we found as a family to carve... my baby's first pumpkin, the one we paid way too much for because it was at a fancy pumpkin festival... then I looked at my kid and said, "no way." (I think my husband would have flipped his lid. He's still teasing me about spending $20 on a pumpkin when the store was selling 2 for $5!)

Still wandering around the store when notice there are medium pumpkins all over the place as decoration. Hmmmm... they looked nicer than my sad choice in the cart but they weren't big enough. So I began the hunt. Up and down every aisle until I saw it. The perfect pumpkin decorating the bakery. The gentleman behind the counter approached with a "how may I help you?" and I said, "Ummm... I actually would like to buy THAT pumpkin." He actually told me no at first, in a very nice way.

Gentleman: "I'm not sure I can do that."
Me: "I really need it. I'm carving a pumpkin with my kids tomorrow, my CLASS, and the one I have just won't do it."
G: "I'd have to call the manager..."
M: "Great!"
(G begins making calls and by this point, my kid is bored and wanting out of the grocery cart. He's not the type to just sit and fuss. He started to climb out not understanding that it was a 4 foot fall to the ground.)
G: "It might be awhile... I'm waiting for the bakery manager to call."
M: "I can wait." (It's clear my kid cannot).

Finally the phone rings and as the gentleman is explaining there is a customer who wants to buy the display pumpkin, and I am wrestling with my squawking baby, I shout out in desperation, "do it for the children!"

I got my pumpkin.