Friday, November 20, 2009

BSC

I have a newish kiddo who has infected my angelic class with evil. Oh I know this sounds incredibly harsh, but this blog is to be a therapeutic tool when I need it, and boy do I need it.

This child is smart and knows exactly how to push my buttons. Until today I have stayed in control and maintained the belief and practice that with a child like this, bad behavior is ignored and good behavior is praised. Today the child is in control. After hours of ignoring, after hours of my stress level rising, I snapped. I didn't snap at the child, but after ignoring really ridiculous behavior (pretending to chew gum, laying on the carpet, kicking my feet while I'm teaching, poking classmates, you name it, it was done) I thought I would have an ulcer. I was so tense. I gave the child a warning... "you continue this, you will leave this classroom." The child called my bluff and off we went to the Principal's office.

I'm so frustrated because no matter what I try, I'm not getting even close to the result I want. Incentives work for a day or so. Reasoning fails. Ignoring doesn't work. Positive response works for a day and then seems to be forgotten. I'm trying to keep a running log of the behavior to look for patterns, hoping that eventually I can put together a behavior plan that will actually work, but in the meantime, this child is driving me BSC.

4 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I had the exact same thing happen!! Apparently, while I was out at a conference yesterday, I got a new kid. Her own mother told me this morning, when she came to meet me, that her daughter had spent most of the day in time out on her first day. Yikes! Today was no better, unfortunately. Let's just hope she figures it out soon, because she was already influencing some of my other babies today. :(

Snippety Gibbet said...

Oooh, I could feel my blood pressure rise just reading that. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I am in the same situation, but mine has been here all year. For some reason, I was blessed with two (yes, 2!) ED kids this year. They are mainstreamed into regular classrooms in our school. It feels like a 3-ring circus. I tried all of my usual stuff just like you did, but to no avail. Finally, I have begged and pleaded for help from administration and spec. ed and they are helping me. If you're like me, you always want to do it on your own - this is your class and it's your job to take care of 'em...but sometimes, we need outside help.

blossomteacher said...

They are all nutters this time of year! I definitely don't hand over the keys to the madhouse, but when it goes to hell in a handbasket, I have been known to jump in the handbasket before! Control is an illusion anyway, right :)