Monday, November 16, 2009

Testing Rant

While I've had this information for a few days, it just sunk in today.

I HAVE TO GIVE 80, THAT'S 8-0, INDIVIDUAL TESTS BY DECEMBER 22ND.

Our math pacing guide has changed (I'm okay with change) but now we are paced to give 4 different math assessments 2nd quarter. FOUR. There's a total of seven all year and we gave 2 1st quarter. So we are cramming in FOUR leaving just one for 3rd and 4th quarter. We're also now teaching addition and subtraction 2nd quarter, where I used to leave this to 4th quarter when I felt that my kids had a stronger sense of number. Side note - if you work with 5 year olds, do you think addition and subtraction are developmentally appropriate this early on? I'd love to hear what you think.

These assessments need to be done one-on-one, the student at my table, me on my laptop recording their actions and responses, while the rest of the students are working independently at math centers*. I need to do this 80 times in 18 days while teaching.

*My kids are used to centers, they do them daily, but math is in the afternoon when their attention spans are shorter and they need a bit more direction and support than they do in the morning literacy centers. Math is also incredibly hands on so the centers tend to be noisier and busier than my literacy centers. Oh, this is also the time my wonderful assistant is on her much needed break.

Shall we try some addition?
4 unsupervised math centers + 1 lone teacher completely engrossed with a student at her table = chaos.

How about some subtraction?
80 individual tests - scheduled math block = 0 time to teach math.

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

OMG! Good luck with this one!