Friday, November 20, 2009

Yay or Nay?

Situation: your class is sitting in the hall doing a pretty good job being quiet. Another class is completely out of control and their substitute teacher is screaming nonsense and no one is listening. The noise is deafening. Do you reprimand the loud class or ignore it because they're not yours?

I flipped on a class today... did the look-of-death-finger-pointing-your-teacher-would-be-so-disappointed-with-your-behavior. I began my speaking in a firm voice but was being completely ignored so I yelled. Really loud. They froze. They became quiet, but that's not really my preferred mode of dealing with loud kids. I immediately felt guilty for a) yelling, but b) also butting into a class and a teacher that's not mine. But then I didn't feel bad because they were so completely out of control. I decided that I would want another teacher to do the same to my kids if the situation ever presented itself.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I do that when kids are out of control for substitutes. People do that for my class when I'm gone too. They say, "MRS. B would NEVER allow you to act this way!"

It works.

I hate when kids take advantage of subs!

ChiTown Girl said...

Amen to that! I would have done the EXACT same thing, and DO on almost a daily basis.

Snippety Gibbet said...

That's a tricky one. I think it is situational whether to react or not. Considering that they were so out of control, and that your kiddies were watching what was happening I totally think you did the right thing today.

Angela said...

Yay! Yay! A thousand times, yay!

I've used Katie's line before, and she's right, it IS effective.