Thursday, January 14, 2010

Why they amaze me...

On our morning message, I asked the kids to check in by moving their name under the American flag. They had to choose between the American flag and the Puerto Rican flag. All but 2 chose the right one, but was what amazed me was the answers I got when I asked what was the same about each flag, and what was different. They came up with so many details! One had the stars in a rectangle, one had the star in a triangle. One had 2 white stripes, one had more. Both were red, white and blue, and both had stars, etc. There was some real thinking and observation going on. Bliss.

During recess, members of this same group, blindly started following three strange men who were cutting across the school grounds. If I hadn't blown my whistle and gave them you-get-over-here-look-and-point, they would have surely followed them into the woods. Absolutely NO thinking was going on there. Definitely not bliss.

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

Yikes, that's scary! There should be strangers walking through school grounds during the day. Period!