Thursday, March 11, 2010

Oh dear... spring is here...

I have this little boy who is incredibly smart, incredibly funny, incredibly thoughtful, and head over heels in love with his classmate. His classmate is an incredibly smart, incredibly funny, and incredibly sweet little girl. They're both on my favorite list.

They're perfect for each other, except that they're 6 years old and I think it's a bit soon to settle down.

I've been watching with amusement as they play together, sit together, shoot moon-eyed glances at each other... it really is cute.

Until today. While in line to throw out their lunch trays, the boy gave the girl a little love-pat on her bottom. I wish I had a video because it was the gentlest little pat and Lover Girl gave him a little loving smile, but very quickly, after I thought that, I thought this:

Dude. DUDE. No! You can't do that!

So I had a quick private chat with Lover Boy that went something like this:
Me: "Pssstt... Lover Boy, come here please. I know you patted Lover Girl's bottom to be nice because you like her, but we don't do things like that in school."

LB: "Oh, sorry. My dad does it so I did it."

Me: "Oh I know he does... grown ups do it, but kids don't, and kids especially don't in school."

LB: "Okay... can I hug her?"

Me: "Sure, but not for too long."

All of a sudden I'm that teacher from the 1950's doing hand checks at the school dance.

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

Aw, that's kinda cute. Totally wrong, but cute.... ;-)