Sunday, April 25, 2010

It's not just an American problem...

I was reading The Economist this morning, skimming the pages catching up on worldly events, "Hey sweetie, did you know they are banning the burqa in France?!" when I ran into this article.

The content was not all that interesting (Sorry Economist, you know I love you...) it was about one political party's desire to reform education, what has been tried, what hasn't worked, and how test scores have been affected. If you read one of these, you've read them all. Politician makes decree -- parents comment -- before and after test scores are graphed and analyzed -- public vs. private control is debated -- end of article.

Guess what is always missing from these articles? The classroom teacher's perspective. I know I use this blog to whine about how teachers are often ignored by politicians during the education debate, but I have yet to see an example of how we are not only involved, but actually given an equal seat at the table. Instead, I feel like teachers are looked upon as the army that will implement the policies they had little voice in forming, yet are held directly responsible for them when they fail.

Ask a teacher how she would reform education, I bet the story would be different.

2 comments:

The Science Goddess said...

Since you're probably already a bit down about this, allow me to pile on...

One of my hopes in moving from the classroom/school to the state department of ed was that as a teacher, I could bring that voice to these "outside" conversations...because, like you, I had noticed that we certainly weren't being invited in.

What I've noticed, however, is that it is still nearly impossible to be a part of those pieces. There is only a very small group (less than 15 people) allowed to participate. I'm not one of the annointed few---not sure that I ever will be since to be one, you must play all of the associated political games.

Why don't we just go somewhere and start our own school? It will be a lot simpler than being included with the larger system.

Snippety Gibbet said...

Amen, sister! I could not agree with you more! Why not make the school board and upper admin. the ones who get paid for performance? We do as we're told and try to make the best of it.