Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rookie Mistake

It was if I was in my student teaching today. What a disaster. Let's start at the beginning...

We've been studying coins, and frankly I am bored. The kids need to learn how to identify a penny, nickel, dime and quarter; they need to identify the value of each; and, they need to be able to make 10 cents using pennies and nickels. We've done a game, we've made a kick butt chart, we've learned a great poem, but we're only halfway through.

We worked on identification for awhile and have just started value. I'm having a hard time getting jazzed up about it so I googled for lesson ideas. Once teacher suggested that you give each coin "antennas" and attaching the smaller coins to each. So for instance, a quarter would have two dimes and a nickel. Since this was above where my kids are (and need to be) and modified the idea to this:

A large penny, nickel and dime glued to construction paper. Over the penny, the kids glue a pipe cleaner and one small penny. Over the nickel, the kids glue 5 pipe cleaners and 5 small pennies, and over the dime, 10 pipe cleaners and 10 small pennies.

A-w-f-u-l. HELLO TEACHER. Pipe cleaners don't stick to paper with glue unless you use a lot, I mean A LOT. Asking kids to cut out 16 little pennies equals torture to most, and guess what? One sheet of construction paper doesn't really fit the 3 coins and their antennas very well.

The hallway outside of my room looks like a bomb hit a pipe cleaner, glue and paper money store.

Reflection? I still like the idea. I like the kids making visuals of how much each coin is worth. I hated the execution. I have another year to brainstorm a better one... and a year to peel all this glue off my fingers.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Money stickers !!!
Expensive, but worth it.