Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Health Hazard

Due to a change in our recess schedule, we now have 30 minutes for lunch, instead of 60. I KNOW I KNOW, many many of you are saying, "SIXTY? Who the hell gets 60 minutes for lunch?" Well girlfriends, we did. Our kids ate lunch and then our fabulous I.A.'s took them outside.

Our new recess schedule has us going out later in the day, after lunch and after math. I like it. It works. The only adjustment is now we have to eat lunch in the same amount of time as the rest of the school. Tough life right? Well, GIRLFRIENDS, yes it is.

Lunch is at 12:50. I arrive at 12:47ish just to get a jump on the process. At 12:55 my kids have finished getting through the lunch line and I have said, 19 times, "please get a straw and napkin." Actually, by the ninth or tenth time, I'm just saying "straw. napkin."

I leave the cafeteria at 12:56 and begin the marathon long walk back to my room. Luckily I have long legs and can bust it back there by 12:59. I now have 21 minutes until my bum is due back in the cafeteria to pick up my kids. Oh, and I'm both a stickler for being on time, and feel incredibly guilty for being late because if I am, then my fabulous I.A. doesn't get to eat her lunch when she should. 12:50 is stinkin' late for 5 year olds, 1:00 p.m. is stinkin' late for me, but 1:20 p.m. is stinkin' smelly late for our I.A.s. But back to the clock...

By 1:00 p.m. I am ripping into my microwaveable meal and popping it in. Some are 1/2 power for 4 minutes, followed by full power for 2. Some are full power for 3, some are slow cookers -- seriously, 7 or 8 minutes. Plus I share my microwave with fellow lunchers, because it would be rude and mean if I didn't, so my same lunch-time colleague and I politely jockey for microwave time.

After all of this nonsense, it's close to 1:10 before I sit down to eat. I have about 8 minutes before I need to leave my room to get back to the cafeteria at 1:20.

I inhale my hot lunch and inevitably burn the roof of my mouth.

This vicious cycle repeats itself until the weekend when I can enjoy hot meals like a normal person. Then I bring my healed mouth to school on Monday and we start the dance again.

(Alright fine, YES, I could bring a sandwich, or cold pasta salad, but that takes planning and time in the morning and frankly, tossing a frozen meal into my bag is much quicker. And then what would I have to blog about?!)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I basically make my week's lunches on Sunday evening. I make 5 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and stick them in the freezer. I bag up carrots or sugar snap peas ready for the week. I do everything necessary so that I can just dump things in my lunchbox in the morning. It means I have the same lunch everyday, but it works.

It's still sad though.

Kids, Canines, and Chaos said...

Haha! I was JUST having this chat with a co-worker about the way those of us in a school inhale our food, burn the roof our our mouths, and don't taste a bite of what goes in our mouths. We also laughed about how we have a really hard time slowing down when we're at any other meal. I've had people comment about the speed in which I eat at a normal meal.. oi vey.