Monday, January 3, 2011

BFF

Goodness... long time, no post huh? Blogging has always been my outlet to compose my thoughts, share funny kinder stories, gripe when needed, and whatever else comes to mind that I think others might be interested in. I would find comfort or solace, or a giggle anytime I posted. Blogging was my bff.

But I haven't really been into my bff lately and I'm trying to figure out why.

Some of it is that much of what has consumed me focuses on my role as our team leader and all the trials and tribulations that go along with that. I could write mountains -- good, bad, and ugly -- about this "job" but I know it's neither helpful nor appropriate. I don't think my bff is interested.

I also have one specific child in my room who I am truly struggling with. This is beyond my typical tough kid... and I've had some doozies. When this one walks down the hall in the morning, I sigh internally because I just don't want to see them. Nice, right? Stories about this child aren't funny, or sad, or in need of advice. They're just complaints. Again, my bff wouldn't really find my comments helpful or appropriate.

I'm also part of a fabulous team of 3 in my room and this has 95% positive return. The 5% that lingers though is that while I am trying many new things and approaches, I am feeling more and more disorganized and unfocused. My bff finds me boring and annoying when I am disorganized and unfocused.

Maybe my bff served its purpose my first three years and now I need a new friend. Maybe my bff and I are growing apart, who knows. I need to figure it out though, because right now my bff sits on my mental to-do list yet never gets crossed off. I hate that.

Has any other edublogger out there experienced this? Is there a time to hang it up? Or refocus?

2 comments:

The Science Goddess said...

I think that this is just part and parcel of blogging. Our purposes for writing change as we move forward with our lives. We are influenced by what others are doing with their creative spaces.

There are times when I feel like I have nothing to share...and others where I can't get posts in the queue fast enough. I've decided not to feel guilty about this. My blog is for me. It's lovely that others read, comment, and share; but at the end of the day, it's my space. It will be there when I am ready and when I need and want it.

I think the important thing as an educator is to be reflective about classroom practice. You don't have to have a blog for that. If you're having the kinds of conversations you want and finding other opportunities to share, then that's awesome.

I always enjoy your posts here---but do what makes you feel good. Don't worry about your readers. We'll get along...somehow. :)

kiri8 said...

That is an excellent question, and I don't know the answer. I'd err on the side of caution, though, and go with what Science Goddess says. Don't hang it up, just give yourself permission to come blog when you want to, not when you feel you have to.

I sympathize with what you are dealing with at work right now, and am sending my support through the series of tubes known as the interwebs.

We'll be here when you come back!