Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Perfect Storm

A recipe for the perfect storm:

1 newly pregnant teacher suffering from exhaustion and headaches.
1 year of working within the standard calendar
3 less breaks than previous years
22 more days of school left
18 children who seem to have lost ability to function

Put all ingredients into a classroom and stir.

I know many of my colleagues are suffering from similar complaints*. I am fully aware that some of it is me, but I am fully aware that lots of it is them. Just looking at colleagues faces confirms that. My daily pattern has been that I start off positive, I quickly become frustrated, then I speak slowly and softly, and then whammo, I yell. And I yell because I worked really hard to speak slowly and softly (I'm already mad at this point), but when a kid simply chooses to ignore me, I can't control it.

*The complaints are:
  1. incessant talking when a teacher is talking.
  2. incessant noise and playing during routine transitions.
  3. consistently being given specific one and two steps direction and NOT FOLLOWING THEM.
Not good. Not good at all. I've been saying things like, "there is NO WAY I can do this for the rest of my professional life." That's a big deal. This is my 4th year. Next year is that magical year that all the statistics say I have a good chance of leaving the classroom. Will I be another statistic? Or can I finish this school year, recharge over the summer and remember why I do what I do, because that list is a lot longer than my list of complaints.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Imagine that 'perfect storm' but instead of 18 children, try 38! 38 children from the bowels of Chicago's worst ghetto, where we call the police on a daily basis (twice today!) and mostly for the PARENTS! A neighborhood where there is shooting going on all day, everyday, so we can't go outside to have any kind of recess or blow off steam, so we're stuck in a room, ALL DAY, that's designed to comfortably hold 18.

Phew! Sorry about that. Let me climb down from my soapbox...

Ok. Better. That really wasn't intended to be a complaint session, I was truly trying to make you feel better, in that, "it could be worse" kind of way. Hang in there, the year's almost over. :(

Snippety Gibbet said...

Wow. I love my job and have hung in there for a long, looooooooong time. I'm not sure I could have done that if I taught where ChiTownGirl does. Wow.

splatypus said...

I bow to you ChiTown Girl. No sarcasm, truly in awe. I could not, and would not, do what you do.

You must drink heavily, or if not that, do something to the extreme to balance that day out!