Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sparkly Things Store

It's nearing the end of the school year which means two things in kindergarten math: time and money.

I decided to tackle money first. We spent awhile learning how to identify each coin and what they were worth. Most kids usually pick this up fairly easily. Then we began talking about making change. How can we make 8 cents? 6 cents? How about 10 cents? How about ANOTHER way to make 10 cents? I focused on this during morning calendar math for weeks (i.e. we beat the horse...)

Then, the very best part of the money unit was upon us. The classroom store. For two days I let the kids lose with crafty scraps and craft glue and asked them to make beautiful things that other people would want to buy. Look how busy they were!

So proud...


So focused...


So creative...

After two days of creating, the kids named the store and settled on prices. We gave them choices (10 cents, 8 cents, 5 cents, 3 cents, 1 cent). I let 5 kids shop at once and I ran the register. I was checking to see who could make the right change and who needed help. Halfway through the shopping spree, I announced a SALE! WE SLASHED EVERYTHING! Ha, now they had to make different change. Bwahahaha.

All in all I was able to focus on about 4 kiddos who still need help and feel confident that the others understand the concept. And they have beautiful sparkly treasures to boot!

Any other ideas of fun ways to teach money?

2 comments:

Emily said...

With my first graders, I like to try and find a way for them to get their hands on "real" money (instead of the plastic coins). We normally run a coin drive for a local charity, and then I have the kids sort and help me count the money before we donate it. They find this task really engaging, and the sorting really solidifies coin names and values.

Snippety Gibbet said...

I love this lesson. Here are little consumers creating,buying and selling art. Love it!