Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Appalled.

One of the basic purposes of public school is to create and foster good citizenship (oh, and that pesky trait called respect). In kindergarten we teach who the president is, what our flag looks like, and we learn the Pledge of Allegiance.

I'm appalled that we were given the message from the head honcho today that if you choose to show the president's address to students, you have to provide an alternate activity for students who wish not to view it.

Not okay.

Not okay!

I don't care what your political views are, when the president addresses the nation, YOU WATCH.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Agreed. I don't remember presidential addresses ever being controversial in schools until Obama. Why suddenly now should there be parental permission slips and alternate activities?

magpie said...

Maybe it's a bit like when Eddie Murphy jokingly enquired to his peers in Beverly Hills Cop..."Is this a black thing?"
I apologize in advance if this offends- Us Aussies are a bit cheeky sometimes

Snippety Gibbet said...

APPLAUSE!!!!!!! APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!

Summers School said...

I don't really agree. Once again, this is a free nation. If students choose not to watch the leader of our country for one reason or another, it isn't right to force them. I would never dream of making my Jehovah Witness children watch the president because I know it would create a major conflict between their beliefs and the respect they have for me. I wouldn't force that on any child.

splatypus said...

Summers School - two things. First, the message the President was giving was focused on being a good student. I find it very hard to believe that listening to that message would create a major conflict between anybody.

Second, I believe the more a person (young or old) censors themselves from information that they might disagree with, the more uninformed and insular that person becomes. Uninformed and insular people are not the kind of people this country deserves.

Ideas that challenge are ideas that promote growth. Ideas that challenge promote debate. Ideas that challenge promote LEARNING.

Maybe I took this farther that intended, but your comment struck a nerve.

kiri8 said...

Splatypus, WELL SAID. I particularly like your response to Summers School. You are a thoughtful, intelligent, and passionate teacher. Thank you.